|Date (2009)||Times of first sighting and setting of the crescent Moon*|
|21 Aug||Crescent moon not visible||Crescent moon not visible||Crescent moon not visible||Crescent moon not visible|
|22 Aug||Crescent moon easily visible around 20:18.
Sets at 20:30
|Crescent moon easily visible around 20:28.
Sets at 20:36
|Crescent moon easily visible around 20:26.
Sets at 20:33
|Crescent moon easily visible around 20:39.
Sets at 20:42
|20 Sept||Crescent moon visible only with binoculars, around 19:06.
Sets at 19:09
|Crescent moon may be visible, with binoculars, around 19:12.
Sets at 19:11
|Crescent moon visible only with binoculars, around 19:09.
Sets at 19:07
|Crescent moon not visible.|
|21 Sept||Crescent moon easily visible around 19:14.
Sets at 19:30
|Crescent moon easily visible around 19:19.
Sets at 19:30
|Crescent moon easily visible around 19:15.
Sets at 19:26
|Crescent moon easily visible around 19:22.
Sets at 19:27
*Times are BST not GMT, and may not correspond exactly with the official (religious) sighting of the crescent moon.
You can get information on the visibility of the Moon from anywhere in the world from HM Nautical Almanac Office’s Websurf facilty:
- accept the conditions of use (Websurf homepage)
- select the ‘Moon-Viz’ link
- choose or search for a place
- select a date range
- The visibility information (time) is in the ‘BEST TIME’ column; Moon set time is in the ‘Moon set’ column. (NB add +1 hour for BST.)
Other websites with information about the visibility of the Moon:
- Moonsighting.com – provides moon visibility curves for the current year and next year.
- Astronomical Applications Department of the US Naval Observatory (USNO) – lists New Moon birth times for the whole year. Note, the crescent Moon will not be visible until at least 15 hours after the birth of the New Moon. The USNO also has a page dedicated to the visibility of the crescent moon and the Islamic calendar.
- You can help astronomers improve their predictions by joining in the Moon Watch project. Look out for the new crescent moon and submit the details to the Moon Watch website.